May 3, 2011

Baby On Board



Save the congratulations. I am not pregnant. I repeat, I am NOT pregnant. Lol

This quick post is however dedicated to all the mothers and mothers-to-be out there. Happy Mother's Day in advance!


So a few weeks ago I had the pleasure of shopping for someone who's expecting.  I'd never shopped for a pregnant woman before but that was the last thing on my mind; as much as I hate shopping sometimes I was excited since it was a first.  I figured "How hard can it be" until I got to H&M and reality hit like a ton of bricks. I knew I wanted to get pieces that she could wear post-pregnancy because really what's the point in buying a ton of maternity clothes when you're only going to be carrying around some extra weight for a couple of months? Took me awhile to find some pieces I thought would work; the maternity section was dire and otherwise there were a lot of crop tops or close-fitted pieces that just wouldn't work.  The hardest part was choosing sizes but I eventually got through it with the help of a sales associate who happened to be pregnant. =D

After this experience I decided to hit up Kendra and Lauren, two of the ladies who are part of my Get Julu'd project (updates in a subsequent post). Both have a daughter and son respectively so I knew they'd have a lot of knowledge to pass onto me as far as maternity shopping goes for the next time around.


Lauren at 8.5 months

Kendra at her baby shower

Lauren at Kendra's shower. They're best friends FYI

We got to talking and leggings and jeggings were their go-to bottoms during their pregnancies with the inclusion of some maternity pants. Really no way around that besides wearing your regular jeans and leaving it unbuttoned. Fancy sweatpants were also on the list of pregnancy bottoms. As for tops, we were all in agreement that loose fitted tops were the way to go. However, Kendra did bring up an interesting fact that I hadn't even thought of. She mentioned she preferred loose fits because you can see the baby moving around if the clothing's tight. =O I instantly got a visual of seeing a foot or hand printing out through a shirt. Lol The conversation was extremely informative and I walked away with a few pointers I can use the next time I go maternity shopping. Some of the top stores they shopped from were Old Navy, JCPenney, Neiman Marcus, Target and Motherhood Maternity.

---

For all the moms out there, what were your favorite pregnancy pieces and tricks you lived by? Stores?


6 comments:

  1. Ha! Ha! I was almost about to say congrats too! Nice! :)

    xoxo
    Stella

    http://www.jadore-fashion.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ella you need to go shopping for me to! I reached as far as PR and bearly found anything at all! And I never would have thought it would be so hard to find nice working clothes plus size or not!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Didn't really buy much maternity clothing as they were not flattering for lack of a better word. I did find a few pieces that I loved in Motherhood Maternity and Old Navy on my shopping trip to PR as St. Croix had nothing. My staples were loose fitting tops and dresses had leggings been in style then I would have been rocking the hell outta them instead of my regular size jeans and not button them up lol. When I did want to get my hot mama swag on I did wear a few fitted tops and dresses as I liked to show off my belly and the extra 32lbs :S which I loved!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaa, oh dear i was about to say congrats!
    and fab post i always get confused why mothers day is like a different time of year in each country though...

    thanks for the lovely comment on my blog :)
    XOXO, BECCA
    http://www.fashion-train.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh wow, you can actually see the baby moving around?! pregnancy sounds just so weird. I have two boxer puppies, and those are the only babies I can imagine for at least another 50-75% of a decade. and yup... I don't think I've ever washed a pair of tights that didn't end up at least kinda destroyed after. I sometimes forget they're in there and throw them in the washer without putting them in a lingerie bag and I am greeted with a tangled mess of nylon fibers EVERYWHERE and all my clothes are wrapped up in the shredded remains. you think once would be enough for me to learn my lesson... nope, we're at 3 times now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. lmaoooooo I was about to congratulate you!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...