March 1, 2011

Just a Filler


Nothing like a bathroom pic. Lol Friday's look: H&M sweater and tights. Tretorn rainboots unseen

There's so much that happened over the course of last week that I don't know where to start. From random BBM conversations with the Get Julu'd ladies to pursuits, an event and a style crisis, I've got enough material to do several posts. Instead, I'll keep it brief and mention the highlights of the week:


Get Julu'd Conversations in a Nutshell
One morning a few minutes past 8 the icon for the BBM group appears on my screen. Open the chat and it's Kendra telling us about a sale Mango has going on and some finds she got. Having my trusty laptop at my side when I sleep, I flipped that bad boy open and browsed their site; I knew I'd be going to SoHo later that week so I made a mental note to pop into the store. On the weekend Kendra also sent us a picture of some shoes she had got. Can we say shop-a-holic of the week? Lol

Thursday
For weeks my friend/co-worker Christine had been trying to persuade me to attend The Black Ball at our school (Baruch), which was the last event being held by the Black History Month Commitee. I knew from the start I wouldn't be going and by Thursday I think she figured it out. Lol But we'd been planning since the previous week to go shopping for a dress for her. Ideally the week before would've given us ample time to find something but instead we found ourselves going the day before. Bad idea!

Had I known how much of a picky shopper Christine was, I would've insisted going at least earlier that week. We went from store-to-store trying to find the perfect LBD.  With Spring around the corner this was easily the worst time to shop for a black dress.  However, there was no shortage of brights and pastels, flower prints and romantic fabrics.  We considered doing a top and skirt combo but in the end we called it a day and got some Mexican gumbo from Qdoba. =/

Normally I hate defeat when shopping because I believe there's always something out there you can work with. Christine was surprised how calm I was but when it's the eleventh hour it's just about being versatile and open about stepping outside of your comfort zone.  You don't have to settle; just look at pieces with new eyes and imagine the possibilities. The minute you get flustered and panic it's even harder to find something. I saw a few things I would've loved to see Christine in but she wasn't having it. Lol  The plus side of our shopping trip is that I spotted a contender for my birthday outfit: fuchsia A-line dress in Zara. =D

Display in Forever 21
That same evening was Street Etiquette's Bar  III for Macy's event in Chelsea. Travis, half of the SE duo, had invited me and it was an opportunity I didn't pass up.  Knew Travis from waaay back. Lived in the same neighborhood in St.Kitts and our families are pretty close. Pretty amazing what he's accomplished so going out to support the event was the least I could do. There were lots of dapper men in attendance and stylish women alike. Met some cool people there and even ran into another friend of mine Keino Benjamin, stylist extradinaire.

Myself, Keino & Miss USVI Janeisha John. Photo by Joshua Woods

Friday
Went to the movies with a friend but we made a stop in Zara first. While he shopped I tried to locate the dress I had seen in SoHo but it was completely out of stock at the location on 42nd. =(

Saturday
Ran some errands with my brother. All I have to say is that I need that Rihanna fragrance in my life. Extremely sexy scent!

Also got a call from Sharisa that day. Let me tell you the way she sounded on the phone you'd think she just saw a man shot dead! LOL Sharisa was literally on the phone hyperventilating. Clearly she didn't get the memo about shopping in a frenzy.  I wish the phonecall had somehow been taped so I could attach it -right here-. Hilarious! In the end she got what she wanted and she was supposed to call me back. Still waiting, Shisa!

Sunday
Took an impromptu trip into the city with my girl Deleon of 3Kings, an upcoming online magazine geared towards the Arts, love & relationships and spirituality. We were in search of some accessories and shoes for this super sexy bodycon dress she's wearing this coming weekend. While we did see some possibilities, didn't make any purchases since she was going to be shopping again this week. That's the beauty of looking in advance; you see what options you have which ultimately helps eliminate buyer's remorse.

I also snagged a  summer dress from Zara while I was waiting on Deleon. Can't wait to wear it! I know Delle was out shopping too and I know there's no way she went home empty handed.

That was pretty much it for the latter half of my week. Leaving you with some photos of pieces that caught my eye in various stores:

H&M jacket. The bow closure is so adorable and compliments the feminity of the lace.

JCPenney find. It's a brooch but I could totally see it as an earring. They also had it in a ring.

Another JCP find. Major vintage appeal.

Ralph Lauren Lauren display in Macy's. Classic pieces every woman should have: white shirt, chinos and wrap dress.



1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...