February 20, 2011

The Pursuit : Evening Dress for a Gala


Moccasins are super comfy for shopping

On Friday after a full day of work and class I had the absolute pleasure of going dress shopping for my toughest client: my mother.  I was soooo hyped to go!

-_-

Shopping for my mother is something I dread half, if not most, of the time.  Love her to death but her tastes change a bit too fast for me.  Remember purchasing a loose fitted blouse for her back in December thinking she'd like it.  To my surprise, she claimed she liked form-fitting tops which meant she didn't like the one I picked out. Lol  I suppose she reminds me a lot of myself when she would shop for me and I'd reject her purchases; good ole karma.

Anywho! She has a gala to attend next month so I set out with my twin Juana and cousin Ozelle, who I mentioned in my first post. First we hit Nordstrom Rack and Filene's Basement; figured we wouldn't strike gold there so it was off to Macy's afterwards.

Let me tell you I can't stand shopping in department stores, especially Macy's! I always get overwhelmed by all the overstuffed racks and gazillions of shoppers to maneuver through. But I had my mind made up to get this mission over with in one trip so I was in tunnel vision mode.

Mother wanted color and something knee-length. There were lots of colored dresses but the ones I'd see would be in satins, spandex blends or had ruching and other detailing that wouldn't flatter her figure. Coincidentally all of the dresses the three of us liked had a metallic finish, and after a lot of hunting we got the size.

I won't reveal the dress until my mom wears it but here were some other dresses we liked that weren't necessarily right for the occasion or her body:


Dress by Evan Picone. Would flatter her but I felt it was more Easter Sunday-ish


Don't remember the brand but I thought the layering might add bulk

Another Evan Picone. Loved it for the occasion but no size =(

Don't you wish the right dress could just pop out at you sometimes? Photo by Ozelle

Once we got the dress we ziplined to the shoe department and got the perfect pair of heels to match.

If you're in the market for a cocktail or evening dress, Macy's is definitely the place to go.  Last time my mom needed a dress I got one there and they always have crazy deals.  Currently they have 40% off the original price, and if you have an international ID card don't forget to pick up your 10% off-30 day pass from the Visitor's Center!

---

In unrelated news, went out last night with four of the six fabulous women whose wardrobes I'll be helping make over.  Stay tuned for a post on that tomorrow!

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...