January 27, 2011

Dreaming on Sleepless Nights

Eyes running, head pounding, face aching -all results of 18 hours of sleep... Over the past 6 days. =|  It all started with one of my wisdom teeth coming out of hibernation; for years they've been coming on and off like an indecisive lover. Combine the toothache with a messed up body clock and we've got some unwanted side effects. Judging from this week's routine, I won't be falling asleep again until three-ish so I figured why not blog. My mind's on overdrive anyway.

---

There once was a girl who loved watching Saturday morning cartoons. Braceface had become one of her favorites, and she began reproducing the characters on paper.
  Like any twelve year old she got easily bored, so it was only natural that she tweaked the face, hair color, body shape and the clothes. Doodles turned into a black-and-white notebook filled with drawings and designs, some accented with a logo that resembled Tommy Hilfiger's. Why that choice? I couldn't tell you... Some twelve years later and this girl's passion for design evolved into styling.



Some of my drawings. Can you tell it was the 90's? LOL


Check out the hair & make-up on this chick in the grey suit. How u doing? LOL


It was just in the last quarter of 2009 I decided I was going to make my way into the world of styling one way or the other regardless of my future location. As an international student here in New York, my destiny isn't guaranteed to obtain a work visa and stay here.  Marrying for my "papers" is nowhere near an option either; I believe in the sacredness of real love too much to turn it into a transaction. All of this to say, I chose to pursue my degree in Marketing for logical reasons.  If I return to St.Kitts it would be more marketable (no pun intended) versus a degree in my desired field of fashion.  No pessimism, just realism.  Don't get me wrong: I love business equally.

Nonetheless, I'm paving my own way until I can afford to get certification in image consulting and styling. These programs cost thousands of dollars; I neither make that kind of money as a student worker on-campus or swallow dollar bills, if you catch my drift.  So I've officially unofficially started my own business juluSTYLES and undertaking this blog seemed like the next logical step. The Facebook page has allowed me to connect with hundreds of you who are into style and fashion as much as I am. But it hasn't afforded me with the hands-on experience I desire to gain.

After brainstorming many times with another cousin of mine, Kadeem, I came up with the idea to do a blog-umentary on women who want to makeover their wardrobes.  We're forever saying we have nothing to wear (I'm gulity) but all it takes is a good evaluation of what we do have and editting.  Sounds easy but when we're doing it on our own it's a lot harder to decide what to keep, what works for us color-wise, style-wise and all the other scientific elements that make up a good wardrobe. 

By no means am I a professional at this, hence the reason I want to learn from everyday women like myself.  Celebrity styling is merely but a good opportunity to me; no real drive behind accomplishing that.  Transforming the lives of women by giving them the tools to feel fabulous each day they step out into their different arenas is what fuels my passion for styling.  As confident as I appear to be, there are days when I feel the total opposite because I'm self-conscious about something I'm wearing, or not. That's why I'm also undertaking an overhaul of my wardrobe to match the image I want to portray and my age (had a terrible phase of jeans and sneakers that I'm completely over).

As I take this journey to perfect my style, I want to parallel it with the rest of you phenomenal women out there. Big ups to the five women who've contacted me to get this project started. Can't wait to share this experience with you guys. Peace and love!




Here's my Big Chop
 





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...