July 19, 2011

Show Me Your Closet

Last time I posted I was on my way to Ayodelle's home to check her closet out. I did, and the following weekend I went to Tanya's to do the same. Initially I wanted to do individual posts but in the back of my mind I knew it only made sense to aggregate the two. When I was recruiting women for this venture both had stated their overall goals were to improve their work wardrobes. After visiting them, I saw they had even more in common:

  • Both want to learn how to mix and match their attire better
  • Come up with creative ways to remix staples
  • Both have West Indian roots- Delle's from the Virgin Islands and Tanya's from Bermuda
  • Their ideal style is effortless chic; simple; sophisticated
  • They have similar body types- what's labelled as the "Inverted Triangle"
Ayodelle

Tanya


I feel as though it was fate Delle and Tanya reached out to me after I'd made the announcement on my Facebook page. Our tastes and body types are pretty similar. I'm also a fan of basics and dressing my broad shoulders are always something I keep in mind when shopping. Only difference is their "girls" trump mine any day. Lol So the biggest challenge for me is going to be dressing larger breasts. It's more than welcomed because this blog was, after all, started to learn more about styling different body types!

However, instead of focusing on their body types on my first visit, I decided to dive right into working towards their goals.

DELLE

Going through Delle's wardrobe it was obvious she didn't have a shortage of clothes. She's probably going to kill me for saying this but I swear a lot of her stuff still has a price tag on it. Her justification is that she never pays full price, which is something I should learn (no patience for sales sometimes), but Delle's clearly a shopaholic. Lol  

Delle had this unworn chambray shirt below but didn't know how to wear it. Right now chambray's pretty trendy but it still  has that classic element, so it's definitely a great piece to have. We tried it with a high-waisted skirt she had to create a work look but we unanimously decided it was waaay too conservative, and the proportions weren't flattering.

So we changed out the skirt, tossed on a bright red belt and came up with a look she could wear out on the town.

The following photos you'll clearly see a tag so you know I'm not lying (haha). Her job's pretty flexible about what she can wear so linens are a great pant option for the summer. First we paired the periwinkle blue pants with an ivory silk blouse. Then for a daring look we put it with a ruffled button-up that had a variety of blues in the print. In my head, I thought it would be too matchy-matchy but you know the rule that says the more you use a color, it becomes a neutral to play off of? Well, that was the outcome. And with the pops of tan, we were completely in love with the look. Since, Delle's actually worn the get-up to work.

There's a tag!


Close up of the print
Delle's wide leg pants are also perfect for her body type. They do a great job of balancing out her upper half.


TANYA

It's really unbelievable just how small the world is. Before moving to New York, Tanya lived in Tampa, Florida where she met, not one, but TWO friends of mine from St.Kitts. One's actually my ex's cousin. Could the degrees of separation be any smaller? Sheesh... Shoutout to Geniece and Karima if you're reading this! Lol  With so much in common, it felt like we knew each other already.

In addition to wanting to be more creative with her wardrobe, it was pretty clear Tanya and I have some organization issues to deal with. Like I mentioned, she recently moved and we all know space in Florida is nothing like it is in New York City. When I first moved from St.Kitts it was something I had to adjust to; stripping my wardrobe down to just what I needed and organizing in a way that made sense. So we're going to have to do the same with her wardrobe, which she's since started working on. Yaaay Tanya! Lol

As far as the mixing and matching went, we focused more on color combinations. Tanya has a great pair of olive pants she bought for work but wasn't quite sure what colors to pair them with. After pulling a few pieces from her closet, she saw she had quite a few tops they'd look great with like a ruffled yellow blouse and deep purple cardigan. I also paired it with an orange printed wrap blouse (seen below) she hadn't worn in a long time.



Growing up as a twin, my sister and I would always have matching outfits. Hers would be green and mine would be orange, so it was instinctual for me to combine the two colors together. If you're into the theory of color you know red and green are complimentary, so variations of both go well with each other.

As far as creative solutions go, Tanya had a bunch of light scarfs perfect to be worn during these hot summer months but didn't know how to wear them outside of the norm. I've seen many women wear them in cool ways like turning it into a rosette or wearing it as a belt. Most recently I'd seen Kris Jenner of Keeping Up With The Kardashians wear a white button-up with a cheetah print bow, and I'd bought a blouse with a built-in one. So with those images fresh in my mind we tried that out.



Paired it with darker items just to demonstrate how color can brighten up any look.

Don't judge my bow-tying skills lol

There's so much more I can talk about after these initial meetings, but I'll save those for another post. I'm already tired of typing. =/ Lol

---

What are some interesting color combos and creative fixes you've done lately?

3 comments:

  1. thanks for the comment on my blog :)
    and yes i really couldn't agree with you more!

    XOXO, BECCA
    http://www.fashion-train.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, I love this =]. And I'm happy for you!

    - Kimberly

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...